Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Experiment 1

It was summer. My parents decided that they were long overdue for a vacation. They decided that I should stay over at my grandmother's house while they were away. They told me it would only be a week until they would return. I was fine with the arrangement because in this week I could get to know my grandmother better since I have not been around her much. When I got to her house, she was got down to the rules. I say rules, but really she just told me to keep out of trouble. For some reason, she emphasized that I should stay out of her basement. I agreed to her terms of living, but this got my curiosity going off. For the first few days, I spent my time talking to my grandmother. She had all sorts of stories of her younger years and how my mother and father got into so much trouble as kids. She also told me of grandpa. I've never gotten the chance to meet my grandpa since he passed away a few months before I was born. From what grandma told me, he sounded like a fine person. On the fourth night, I decided this was the night I was going to go into the basement. I made sure my grandmother was asleep before I continued. I grabbed a candle and lit it down stairs with one of the matches. As I opened the basement door, suddenly I started to shiver. At the time I thought it was just a random breeze, but my body was telling me something else. As I went down the steps, they all creaked. I stopped and held my breath. I was afraid that I might have woken up grandma, but she did not come down. As I reached the bottom of the steps, I saw a large object. I approached the object and shined my candle. It was a refrigerator. I wondered why grandma had told me not to go down. I opened it and it was filled with fruit. This was when my stomach began to growl. I was still hungry. Without a second thought I took the juiciest looking fruit and bit into it. In that moment, I heard a loud shrieking noise. I dropped the fruit and covered my ears. Something had screamed, and it continued to scream. The screaming hurt my ears. I looked at the fruit. I noticed that the place I had bit into now had a mouth on it. I was scared. It kept screaming and screaming. I didn't know how to stop it. I started my way of the steps when suddenly the kitchen lights turned on and there at the top of the steps was my grandma. She looked calm. I looked at her ears and noticed that she had plugged them up. She smiled at me, and said something. I couldn't hear her for the fruit was still screaming. By this time, blood started coming out of my ears and it was around this time I lost my hearing. I cried in agony of the pain, but my grandma just stood there. She then slammed the door shut as I was approaching it. I tugged on the handle, but it didn't move. She locked it. I was trapped in this basement. It has now been two weeks since she locked me in here. I think the fruit finally stopped screaming. I couldn't tell for I could no longer hear. I've been living off the fruit in the refrigerator. It is almost empty. I wonder if she will ever open the door.... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer and a young man

A young man sits on his computer staring at his screen. He looks outside the window and sees children playing the streets. He wonders to him...